When I started this blog over a year ago, the intention was to stay connected with my ever growing global yoga community. Creating a space through blogging, guiding yoga classes, offering ayurvedic consultations and or workshops where people felt safe, nourished, healthy and inspired. My specialty has always been supporting seasonal transitions, more recently life transitions. In the past, people came to me with issues that were in their range of control yet navigation tools were out of reach. There was rarely a situation I couldn’t tackle. At least the feedback I received was positive 🙂
Today we are faced with a situation that is out of our control: the incredible outbreak and transmission of corona virus globally. And, if you are like me, I need to feel that I am in control! Yes, the corona virus is spreading like wild fire. And, we do have control over our actions which without a doubt will affect our health and the health of our surrounding community. By now, we are all washing our hands, continuously. Using Hand sanitizer if we can get our hands on any. And, beginning the suggested social distancing by staying home from work, minimizing exposure to large groups of people, refraining from going to restaurants, gyms and yes, yoga studios.
What I am seeing mostly in the Ayurvedic Community is an outpouring and reinforcement of Ayurvedic Self Care Rituals to build our immune systems. This is something we do have control over!! If you’ve ever taken a workshop with me, you may be familiar with Dinacharya ie. Daily Routine. During these uncertain times where we are spending more and more time in isolation, creating a Daily Routine is essential. Not only does it balance the irregular nature of our current circumstances, but it also includes many immune boosting protocols. Lets get started:
- Wake up with the sun, everyday! By waking up at the same time everyday, you create a rhythm to begin your daily activities
- Scrape the Tongue: Use tongue cleaner or even a piece of dental floss to remove the bacteria in your mouth and activate the digestive system
- Brush Teeth: If you have access to ayurvedic toothpaste, neem and licorice flavor is best
- Oil Pull: Swish sesame or coconut oil in your mouth without swallowing for at least 5 minutes, then spit out. You will notice change in consistency of oil to milky. This is good news, toxins are being eliminated!
- Drink 1 to 2 cups warm water: Start the day by moving impurities out of the system and clearing the channels for a fresh new day
- Neti Pot: a great technique to keep nasal passages clear and free from bacteria, follow with Nasya Oil and or a few drops of warm ghee
- Rosewater: Drop one to two drops pure rosewater in each eye promoting clarity and refresh
- Self-Oil Massage: A wonderful Self-Care ritual. Give yourself a massage with warm sesame or coconut oil every morning or evening. Benefits include calming the nervous system, lubrication, improving circulation and nourishing the spirit from inside out.
- Morning is a great time for Light Exercise, Pranayama, Yoga and Meditation Practice
- Eat three healthy meals a day with largest meal at lunchtime. Eating three meals stokes our digestive fire while also allowing time between meals for digestion
- Limit snacking to fresh fruit and herbal teas
- Favor warm foods over cool, warm beverages over cold: Warm beverages and food may help reduce onset of corona virus
- Eat in a mindful environment free of distractions
- Favor Spring Tastes of Bitter, Astringent and Pungent
- Incorporate Green Juices, soups and smoothies into your meals
- Stay Hydrated sipping warm water throughout the day: Add a pinch of sea salt and coconut sugar with lime if feeling dehydrated
- Suggested Daily Supplements to Keep Immune System Strong: Zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Medicinal Mushrooms(Chaga, Reishi) and Tumeric
- Begin to wind down after an early supper
- Light reading, warm bath, pranayama, warm oil massage, and or meditation suggested
- Try drinking warm Ojas Milk before bed: Ojas Milk is a nourishing, grounding, delicious beverage that helps you sleep and keep the immune system strong!
- In Bed with lights out at 10:00pm
Recipe Ojas Milk:
- 2 cups Almond, Rice, Oat or Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Ashwaghanda Powder(Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 chopped Date
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- Pinch of Honey(Optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tumeric Powder(Optional)
Bring all ingredients to a gentle boil on stove stirring constantly. Pour in your favorite mug and enjoy!! Makes 1 to 2 servings
Let’s keep the dialog going. We may have to practice external social distancing; and, we still have control over keeping connections through emails, face-time and staying tuned in to both our local and global community. Would love to hear how you are doing in your neck of the woods. Any remedies that are working for you? Or just a simple hello!
Wishing you health, connection, love and continued support during these special times.
With Love, Lisa