It’s been a full on Pitta aggravating week here in Portsmouth, NH. Yup, we are camping out in Portsmouth at a lovely one bedroom apartment while our house that we bought almost a year ago, August 31, 2020, is being completely renovated. The renovation by the way, is a whole other blog post!
My perception has become cloudy as Jeff and I have spanned three seasons living like nomads, first in our basement, now an apartment, and the occasional hotel here and there to give our dog, Jiao Zi a bath. Is it the Heat that’s burning inside my heart or the inability to locate my favorite blue jean shorts?
Ha ha, I am just kidding(mostly), the heat outside has been stifling. I dig deep into my Ayurveda treasure chest and pull out remedies on the daily. Yesterday, I stopped off at a local farm on my way home from teaching to pick up fresh cilantro, green leafy vegetables, fresh red peppers and plums. Later in the day, I picked cucumbers from our garden seeking the perfect antidote for my “burning heart.” I discovered that while fresh cilantro is cooling, putting it in your water is not the most appetizing. Maybe that’s a me thing?
Some of my tried and true cooling remedies to keep the heat at bay:
- Start your day with a refreshing coconut oil self-massage, less is more
- Fill a pitcher with room temperature water, sliced cucumber, mint and quartered oranges, sip throughout the day
- Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on your favorite summer time dishes
- Add cucumber to your salads, drinking water, and use as a refreshing eye pillow
- Treat yourself to a spritz of rose water on body and face….whenever
- Stock your fridge with coconut water
- Forget about Sun bathing, switch to Moon Bathing, cool off in the evenings by the light of the moon
- As Linda Rondstadt sings, “Don’t Pass Up This Chance!” ie. Surrender with abandon, find playfulness in every moment
This has been a challenging time for all of us. And while it gets hotter outside; and, we may be finding ourselves struggling with current life circumstance, I go back to Linda Ronstadt, “It’s like a heat wave, burning inside my heart…… We are all on this journey together, Don’t Let the Heat Grind you Down!
With Love and Light,